The Top 10 Software Companies And What Sets Them Apart
It’s so easy to talk about computers in generic terms – they have changed how we work, they have made the pace of our lives faster, and so on. While everyone was preaching, there were a few individuals that went ahead and created businesses and products that are an integral part of our lives.
An Apple Inc. is different from a small-time enterprise based out of Oklahoma simply because Apple’s ideas revolutionized everything from phones to music to desktop computing. It’s almost unimaginable to think of a time when a desktop computer had a separate console where you could plug in your USB devices as well as read your CDs. We would like to focus on the impact of software companies on our lives.
- Microsoft – despite the fact that Internet Explorer has been retired permanently, Windows and MS Office are still the go-to in terms of desktop computing. MS Office makes the world handle their everyday tasks with ease and efficiency relying on an easy-to-use interface and thanks to how common it is, the availability of a nearly infinite number of tutorials and hacks to optimize the use of these software products. Earning nearly $87 billion in revenue, Microsoft has stamped its dominance simply by being them most commonly used and most accessible software there is.
- Oracle Corp – Oracle has been around for decades and while Oracle doesn’t provide users with operating systems that run their computers, Oracle is responsible for the databases of the world running at top speed and not turning into an incomprehensible alphanumeric mess. The Oracle DBMS is the reason behind the company’s $39 billion revenue.
- International Business Machines (IBM) – operating in nearly 170 countries in the world, it would be remiss not to mention the word prolific when talking about IBM. The range of products offered by IBM range from the traditional to the futuristic. They offer everything from computing, analytics and data, IT infrastructure, and the like. This means that literally anything computer related has a piece of IBM in it. One of the services they offer, like our company does, is web hosting. There are nearly 25,ooo customers that are using IBM’s best cheap web hosting services.
- SAP SE (systems, Applications & Products) – This German company is behind the very prolific system that most companies use to manage the day-to-day operations of their businesses as well manage relationships with customers. There are at least 350,000 customers of SAP SE in at least 130 countries. SAP is one of the most wide-reaching software companies there is and true to the German stereotype of efficiency, SAP too ensures that companies and their resources are running at their optimum.
- Tata Consultancy Services Limited (TCS) – This IT services company is part of the Indian industrial conglomerate Tata Group. The company has made a name for itself in India and abroad by being an integral part of the IT boom in the early aughts. It is one of the largest companies that is based out of India and was founded in 1968. They have nearly 350,000 employees in their various offices located in India and various other countries. TCS creates IT products that are used across all consumer sectors.
- Symantec Corporation – Symantec is known mainly to develop software for security, storage and backup as well as providing maintenance services for their software. In 2015, Symantec was split into 2 parts – one focusing on security related products and the other focused on managing information.
- VMWare – VMWare is an American company that provides cloud services as well as visualization services. VMWare was the first computer company that virtualized the x86 structure. The software runs efficiently across all platforms and they have made a name for themselves ever since they were founded in 1998.
- EMC Corporation – Another American company that deals primarily in services related to storage, data security, analytics, cloud computing, and so on
- Adobe Systems – like most companies that are on this list Adobe too has one distinguishing factor – capturing a unique niche. No other company does design software like Adobe. And Photoshop has become so ubiquitous that it has managed to capture the imagination of its users.
- Intel – a computer without Intel microchips is almost unheard of. It is a semiconductor company but its main nice is the founding of the x86 architecture. Despite the fact that it is primarily a hardware company, the entire software niche is of no use without these processors.